Recently, one of our participants, Shaquan, conducted an interview with Mr. Von Washington, Executive Director of Community Relations with the Kalamazoo Promise. Shaquan asked him questions about his educational and career path to learn more about how he reached success. Please click Read More to read the interview!
1. How did you choose your career?
Helping and being there for the students—growing up in Kalamazoo.
2. What are the most important skills required?
Being committed, communication skills, helping kids and young adults.
3. What are your working conditions like?
It is fast-paced and the hours switch up a lot.
4. What was your first job?
Being a janitor.
5. How did you make it to your job now?
Went through HS and got his diploma, went through college, then got a good job and kept getting better jobs, and now he is at the promise.
6. How did you get back on the right path after you got in trouble?
Listened… to himself and other people, knowing the difference from right and wrong.
7. When do you plan on retiring? When you retire can I have your job?
Yes! Will retire when he reaches his limit/ is tired.
8. What advice would you give to young people who need help finding a job?
Find a job, get the job, accept the job, keep the job until you get a better one.
“Talking to Mr. Washington made me think more about how my life can go and how I can really change it and make a big difference in life, instead of ruining life and locking myself up.” -Shaquan
Participants of YADC, community members with an interest in restorative and therapeutic justice or diversion programs, and YADC staff are encouraged to write posts to be submitted to the blog. Anyone is welcome to inquire as to the process of becoming published.
Please contact us if you would like us to post something on the website!